“Babe, I’m worried about you,” I say to Alison.
"You know those earrings with the faces on them? I went back and got them!"She says as she shows me the elaborate gold, emerald and coral set, then her matching gold and diamond earrings and ring, her many new jeweled nose rings, gold and silver pendants galore.
1) To beat the foreign-girl blues - Wikipedia describes retail therapy as “shopping with the primary purpose of improving the buyer's mood or disposition. Often seen in people during periods of depression or transition, it is normally a short-lived habit.” This pretty much hits the nail smack-dab on the head. Pick any random handful of my past India blog posts and you’d have to be slightly moronic not to pick up on how frustrating it’s been at times. The constant “eve teasing” and inappropriate gestures, merchants and rickshaw drivers constantly trying to rip us off, completely ambiguous guidance on our academic work, the constant smell of burning trash, the lack of Mexican food, to name just a couple. (cut to image of me three weeks ago, walking two hours to Chamundi Hill to let off some steam - thankful my sunglasses are bug-eyed enough to hide the tears of sheer frustration) Situational depression and transition? Check and check!
2) I’m a serious gifter - Alison and I find our way into a fabric store. The salesman sits us down at the counter and within seconds he’s ripping scarves and sarees off the shelves to show us, telling us all about the fine quality of each product. It’s not long before phrases like, “Mom would love that,” “I still need to find something cool for Vaughn,” and “well, I bought so-and-so something, so I have to buy so-and-so number two a gift as well.” In fact, it is ridiculously hard for me to buy something for myself without thinking about who else might also love it; usually it’s my mom. I mean, what’s so wrong with over-buying for other people? Back me up on this one.
3) I buy “healthy” things in a “healthy” manner - Sure, maybe it’d be a problem if I was blowing money on stupid things like massed-produced “authentic” knick-knacks, buttloads of Indian style clothes that would attract suspicious glances if worn by a white girl in the states, or heaps of gold jewelry that would just sit in boxes in my dresser drawer. I’ve tried hard until now not to spend my money on the “junk food” of items. Instead, I opt for healthy choices like books, music, artistic and creative home décor. I have scrutinized over options and picked only the most interesting and unique items –with the exception of a couple inexpensive impulse buys when the craving was so bad it just had to be satisfied.
4) I’m in India – Seriously, how can I not want to bring stuff back?? Since I got here I’ve been bombarded with everything new and different. Down every street there’s more stores selling colorful ethnic items and interesting handicrafts. Not buying would be like finding that cave with rolling hills of gold and jewels, and not taking the magic genie lamp. Or like going to the zoo and only looking as the squirrel exhibit.
Everything is so damned cheap – I’ve mentioned it before and it still holds true. It feels so much better buying stuff when you know it’d cost 400 percent as much in the states.
Now I’m walking through the busy streets of KR circle, during my last couple days in India. Heavy traffic of motorbikes and rickshaws honk by. On one corner, venders sell fresh fruits and veggies out of two-wheeled carts. A cow or two walks by. Shopkeepers selling everything from coffee to diamonds in stores that line the streets say, “Yes miss, come have a look” as I pass.
Just as I'm wondering "how much damage can I really cause in less than four days?" I notice a little monkey climbing onto my back, whispering, “feed me, feed me, feed me…”
And you know as well as I do that “just say no” isn't as easy as it sounds.
4 comments:
if i could teleport myself to india for a day, i would be right next to you. only i would not be suppressing the urge to buy! actually, all of your points were very convincing. plus, once you get back to the US maybe you'll fully remember all the expensive crap that corps try to pawn off, rather than it being a distant memory.
and now that it's christmas?
FUCK. im jealous. (excuse the language)
So? What did you buy? I think you should indulge in one guilty pleasure before leaving... Doesn't matter if you would wear/use it at home in the U.S. Doesn't matter really how much it costs. Buy your self something great and beautiful that you feel you need to own... Like you said it's a habit that can be quickly gotten over, a little isn't that bad, and you deserve a little something for you!!!
It will make you feel good maybe even end your trip with that satisfaction you're probably looking to experience before you leave.
hahaha oh my god so true. first of all, i completely understand the whole shopaholic thing. i'm pretty much like you though, usually pretty good about it until i see how much stuff everyone else has and then it all goes down the drain. oh, and i love love love buying gifts for people. its a problem how much money i spend on my friends. my personal opinion is that you should go wild. give in to that craving. because, let's face it, just like you said, saying no is near impossible.
in other news, im so happy your coming home! i know that doesnt mean im going to get to see you but i want you to be in the country and i want to be able to come visit you at school. and i dont want you trekking out to random hills to cry anymore. no fun.
as for my blog, becca, i have to say im not sure if you remember, but this time of year is so incredibly stressful. i have barely had time to read your blog lately. and to be honest, i have been so stressed and tired my creative juices really aren't flowing. anything i wrote right now would be serious crap. but winter break is FINALLY here so hopefully ill be able to get some good stuff up. maybe ill put on some of my college essays haha. but anyways ill write my next post tomorrow and make it super good so you have to put the link to my blog back on yours. no pressure at all haha.
okay im gonna go read your story now. im excited :)
haha yay! that made my day :)
and ya guys really suck. this ones a particular asshole though. his dog has been living with this girl since the summer so he has an excuse to go over there all the time. and they just decided to go into business together last month. and now hes moving in with her. hes an idiot. but shes stupid for not dumping him, i think.
and as for the snow, it is beautiful and all that fun stuff, but there is SO MUCH of it. its ridiculous ive been stuck in my house for a week and IM GOING CRAZZZYYY
Post a Comment