Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Get real.

I want to do harder, more in depth news.

I realized maybe I'm not trying hard enough to find the real important stories.

What's happening at town hall is fine, covering kids events at the schools, OK. But there's more important issues right now and I know I'm only at a small paper and people don't necassarily expect those those types of stories- further I got to fill the pages so I don't have much time to dedicate to longer, more complex stories that would require some real enterprise reporting.

But I do want to give it more of an effort. If I don't like my job it's because I'm not putting my interests into it. I'm being lazy.

Not so with fiction - that's been a whirlwind. I've been writing and reading more than ever and for the first time, feel like I'm arriving.

But with journalism - I need to take more of an initiative. I have an idea to to a pice on homelsessness in these towns - I'm gonna pitch it to my editor. I'm thinking I can look at trends, because I know it's on the rise, causes, what the towns are doing to help, financial complications. I want to talk to people who are homeless. Is there not enough affordable housing? People like to pretend this isn't a problem - but it is.

Time to get real.

No comments:

Followers