Saturday, September 01, 2007

High Octane

(I'm loving all your comments! I'll post a bunch of photos soon.)

I’ve been halfway around the world for more than two weeks, doing all sorts of great things. But there’s one thing I haven’t been doing…

Partying.

Not a drop of alcohol has touched my lips. I haven’t had a single puff of a cigarette. And I definitely haven't set foot on a dance floor. Most of us have already ventured into that college comfort zone, known as the nightclub, but because I was sick all of last weekend I have yet to experience the nightlife of an international student in Mysore.

So when a bunch of us decide to go to one of the very few local places, catering mostly by international students (most from Africa), I’m thinking, “It’s about time.”

“Sleek” is not a word that would in normal circumstances be used to describe Mysore. Mumbai? Probably. Bangalore? Yes. But Mysore? No way. High Octane is one of the few exceptions.

A narrow staircase filled with the muffled sounds of American radio pop hits foreshadows that the ambiance a High Octane doesn’t quite match up with the Mysore I’ve gotten acquainted with thus far.

Everything is as squeaky clean as an operating room. The walls are either ceiling-to-floor mirrors or painted a crisp white. Fiber-optic colored lights glow around the glass bar and cocktail tables, providing a warm illumination for the otherwise dim space. Rows of martini, wine, and cocktail glasses hang neatly upside-down behind the bar, ready to be snatched up by busy bartenders. And cushiony square chairs are positioned in clusters, like little living rooms, around the walls and small dance floor.

We head immediately for the bar. I am told bartenders here, unlike in the U.S., respond faster to men than women. So Christa and I hand our rupees to Alex and ask him to get us each a beer from the bar. Unfortunately, Alex is less than aggressive and doesn’t have any luck.

I decide to take matters into my own hands. I get my money back, break away from our little cluster of American students and find my way to the center of the bar. I wait until the bartender is nearly finished mixing a batch of drinks, lean in towards him and say “One beer.” He nods in recognition then grabs me a bottle of Kingfisher.

“80 rupees,” he says. I hand him a 100 rupee bill and wait for my change. While I’m waiting, James spots the beer in my hand and walks over to me.

“How did you get that beer?” He asks.

“I said, ‘Can I have a beer!”’ I guess acting confident and pushy translates into any language.

The bartender comes back and explains that he doesn’t have any small bills and if I come back later, he’ll have the 20 rupees he owes me. I shoot him a skeptical look then say sternly, “You better remember me when I come back.”

“I will,” he promises. I prolong my glare a second longer before making my way to the dance floor that’s been calling my name since I stepped through the door.

Suddenly it isn’t Mysore anymore. It’s New York City, Boston, or London. Nothing matters except the music and the ease in which it compels us to move. It’s physical and mental freedom. As the club fills up we take full advantage of the floor. We move and smile and listen. “This,” I think, “is exactly what I needed.”

And although I wouldn’t trade being in Mysore for London or anywhere else, there’s something priceless and unique about dance floors. I think it has something to do with the fact that it feels to me like the only place where people can be so physically close to anybody else, friends or strangers, and feel uninhibited and free to be instinctual. And embedded in it all is a sort of cleansing process. There goes the pent up energy – there goes the tension.

A couple times, some of the girls need to implement the unspoken “save me” plan to get other girls away from questionable dancing partners. You know what I’m talking about: when that guy with the slicked back hair and chaotic arms, whose been eyeing you all night, slowly inches his way to where you’re dancing. Before you know it he’s dancing right in front of you and getting his bump and grind on, way too close for comfort. You know that if you humor him and dance with this dude, you risk being stuck with him every time you hit the dance floor. So Instead, you find a friend and give her the “save me” queue – wide, pleading eyes – and she knows exactly what to do.

At the signal she shakes it over to her friend and ever so subtly cuts in, which usually involves taking her friend by the hand and dancing as close to her as possible, then guiding her away from said sketchy man and back into her group of friends. I guess dancing and music might be universal, but intruding on people’s personal space is still an international faux pas.

For the next couple hours we float in a triangle from the dance floor, to a table, to the bar. On my next trip up to the bar, I’m determined to the rupees the bartender owes me.

“One Beer”

“80 Rupees,” he says.

“You owe me 20 rupees,” I tell him sternly and pass him a 100 rupee bill. “I need 40 rupees back.”

By now James and Kendra are at the bar too, all looking for the change they are owed; they owe James 30 and Kendra 20. The bartender tells us all “OK” and goes to talk to another young bartender to gather some small bills. They shuffle through wads of money, wearing worried expressions for a minute then the bartender returns.

“I don’t have small bills,” he tells us. “come back later.”

“Later? What time later,” James asks him.

“No.” I tell the bartender. “I want my change now.”

I’ve been to enough places in the world where locals try to cheat foreigners that I’m not going to let it happen this time. This guy probably thinks that we’ll go away and just forget, or be too lazy to come back for our change. Besides, what kind of bar doesn’t have small change. I’m not walking away from the bar until I have a beer and 40 rupees in my hand- and James and Kendra have their change too.

Finally the bartender comes back with two 50s. We give him another 10 so its even and agree to split up the 100 rupees later; we trust each other more than we trust the likes of High Octane. And I realize I’m getting a lot better at putting my foot down.

When the pleasant exhaustion of a couple hours of dancing kicks in, a few of us decide to head home. Outside, the air’s cooled off and there’s only a muffled hint of American dance beats. Under the club, people are eating South Indian food in one of the many local dives. Within seconds a couple rickshaw drivers pull up, and none of them are willing to give us the usual meter-and-a-half after 10:30 fare.

So we begin to walk home, knowing well that in a few seconds one of the drivers would catch up to us and offer a fare we’ll accept. When it happens we pile in and it isn’t long before we’re back at Dhvanyloka and falling asleep.

Having (somewhat awkwardly) satisfied my craving for a party, I decide I won’t need it again for a while. It just doesn’t fit into the context of my experience here.

Not to mention, the frequency of deal with people who want to scam us is just obnoxious.

On second thought, even if we did pay the scam price for a ride home, and even if we didn’t get our change at the bar, the night technically still cost only a tiny fraction of what it would cost in New York or London– those places are just a lot more subtle about ripping us off. At least here I'm confident enough to be demanding and do something about it. In New York, I doubt I'd stand a chance.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Becca!

I'm confident you will do the same in New York! It's a great feeling to be in control!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for asserting yourself but did you tip the bartender? While 25% is a bit high, you may do better in the future by throwing the 100 and saying "Keep the change."

the Discovery Hour said...

I can really picture the place, it sounds quite enchanting. I am quite curious to know some of the songs that were being played though

Tiny Dancer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiny Dancer said...

wow, becca you are a such an incredible writer. i had no idea! india sounds amazing. and very different. and i totally know exactly what you mean about the dancing with sketchy guy thing. i think it's kind of universal. you said it way better than i ever could though :)

Lindsay said...

In New York it's not that you'd be unable to assert yourself--it's that even the locals are paying the prices. It's what happens in The City. I just get my drinks in before I go out or I dance with people and get them to buy me one (the power of being a strong dance-floor dancer and a female all wrapped into one).

What seems to be happening to you in Mysore is that you are in fact being scammed as a foreigner. But demanding 4 bucks for a drink that is listed at 12 in NYC won't work. However--if you get scammed into the "I've got no change" thing in NYC I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Glad the partying put you at ease. Sometimes you need that when you're traveling. It's like going to McDonalds in China because on that particular day you don't want to think about what you're eatting and how you want to order it. Pointing at a picture of a Big Mac is just so much easier. I used to think people like this were silly-- when you travel you should be all into the culture you're traveling within. But sometimes a little familiarity can make you really appreciate what's around you. It's a little motivation when things begin to get sluggish. Don't feel ashamed of it if you want to go back again.

Take Care dear!

Anonymous said...

hey there, came across your blog while lookin up for things about mysore. You write well and the blog "High Octane" was interesting. I am an Indian, brought up in Dubai, and have jus moved to mysore. Have met up wid a few ppl here.

You were talkin about how the bartenders treat you, then consider this, a few of my colleagues werent allowed in sayin its "strictly couple-entry only". But jus today i happened to be eating at the punjabi restaurant there and guess wat do i see. All guys who are white, black or oriental are allowed in irrespective of whether they're accompanied by girls or not. But if you are brown by any chance then the couple-entry rule applies. Howz that for Indians being treated in their own country!! LOL.

Anyways keep the on bloggin. Lookin fwd to hearin more from u. Tc.

Followers