Monday, October 15, 2007

Where are All the Women?

(Disclaimer: this is what I've been told, what I've read, and a bit of what I've experienced. I don't mean to jump to conclusions or play ethnocentric anthropologist, but the subject is troubling to me. If you've had different experiences or perspectives, feel free to share.)

Indian woman pull long hair into tight braids. Clusters of colorful bangles decorate their wrists, gold hangs from strategic locations from their nose rings to their jingly anklets, which match the little jewels that sparkle on the centers of their foreheads. They wrap their bodies in heavy layers of colorful silk and fabric and walk like moving statues – upright and strong.

Seriously, the women around here are absolutely gorgeous. It’s hard to spot an unattractive one anywhere. Young, old, they have so much grace. The men on the other hand…

“Indian men are so undeserving of Indian woman,” the shopkeeper of a upper-end fabric store tells us one day. Maybe she’s right, maybe not. I haven’t gotten to personally know too many Indian guys, and I’m generalizing when I say it does seem like males get the short end of the gene pool.

The thing is, though, these beauties are not very visible in public. Walking around the town, men and boys walk in herds or pairs – often holding hands. Women literally do not exist in bars, clubs, or many other social environments.

And you almost NEVER see a man and a woman in public together here, even if they are husband and wife. Wives here don’t seem to be a husband’s best friend. They are more accurately, a husbands number one servant.

Our Woman and Gender Studies professor once said, “marriage is a bondage, never a bond.”

She was talking about marriage in India specifically (although when I ask myself what's the purpose of marriage in the USA, maybe the statement isn't far off). And, in many ways I think she’s right. Although there are great progressive advances being made, especially in urban areas where women can get great jobs an educations, things can still here suck to varying degrees for Indian women, (according to Prof Women’s studies and other research):

Indian weddings are most commonly arranged marriages. The idea of the submissive, virginal, devoted house wife is engrained in Indian ideology and a focus in religious texts. A woman is supposed to regard her husband as God and worship him as such.

From birth, women are considered a burden on the family. There is “mysteriously” a much higher birth rate for males here than females. Female infanticide is a big problem because, “it is better to pay 500 rupees now than 50,000 rupees dowry later.” This is seriously twisted.

Families stress about marrying off their daughters. It’s considered disgraceful and burdensome to the family if it doesn’t happen. Girls just take up room and eat food, without being able to contribute to the family’s wealth or property. Because of this, families want to get rid of the girls ASAP.

Even though the Dowry Prohibition Act makes dowry (gifts/money paid to the grooms family by the bride’s family) illegal, it’s still a big part of the marriage ordeal here; there’s about 6000 dowry deaths each year.

After marriage, the bride moves into the husband’s household, where she is controlled by elder women of the family, expected to complete household chores such as cooking and cleaning for the entire family. She’s still considered an outsider, though, and remains extremely low on the power hierarchy of the family. It is difficult to acquire land or personal wealth.

And after all that, if her husband dies, a woman is traditionally expected to commit sati, or widow burning. She’s supposed to be so devoted to her husband that she should throw herself onto a funeral pyre. But really, the reason is that widows a) often cannot afford to exist without their husbands and b) if they were to remarry, or have sex with someone else, they risk fuck up the purity of the caste system. Of course this practice has been long banned, and rarely happens, but it still DOES happen.

So why all the traditional, heinous restrictions on women? Caste purity is a big part of it. Men are afraid women will sleep around, dirtying up other castes with mixed caste babies. This could threaten the man’s position in the caste hierarchy.

But my theory is that way, way, way back in the day, males realized how beautiful, intelligent, and awesome women were (and their natural dominance), and decided then and there to instill some hardcore hegemony to get the upper hand.

And you thought your boyfriend was controlling.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

I suggest you watch the movies "Fire" and "Water" by Deepa Mehta.

She is [supposidely] a very controversial person in India b/c her movies are made to tell the stories Indian woman are often forbidden to speak of.

I watched "Water" in my class junior year and I watched "Water" this past spring or winter on my own (in England it just came out in theatres this summer, but has been around on DVD in the states for years (?).. She has another movie in the series named "Earth". I haven't watched it yet.

Fire really talks about what it's like to get married off -- it's also controversial b/c it talks about lesbianism in India-- something that doesn't even have a WORD to describe it (it's that shameful).

Water follows a young girl (maybe like 7 or 8 years old) who's elderly husband died and now she goes to a convent of some sort. Basically- rather than setting herself on fire she is forced to shave her head and live in this disqusting place out of sight from the rest of society... I think burning myself would be better...and I do understand why people do it.

If you ever get a chance to take a class with professor Herbst (that is next semester) I would say do it or at least try to sit and talk with her if you're more interested in this topic. We can always talk too.

-Linz

Tiny Dancer said...

haha this just makes me glad i don't have a boyfriend.

i think you're right now. men feel threatened by women. not just in india, everywhere. that's how abusive relationships happen. men look around and realize that girls are the shit, they get nervous and decide they need to exert some kind of authority so the girls know whose in control.

its complete bullshit. there wouldn't be any men without women.

Lindsay said...

to make a few comments on the comments.

I meant that I watched FIRE in class with Prof. Herbst.

To comment on Tiny Dancer... please don't boil down abusive relationships like that. It's not a joke. and women are not the shit- in fact there would be no women without women and men. I don't like playing sex against sex or gender against gender, rather. I think the point is that there is little respect for women in many cultures--even our own. That's deep rooted throughout history.

Anonymous said...

Who is the coward writing this article saying Indian Men are so undeserving of Indian Women. Why don't you and your chicken shit white race meet me at an appointed place and I will show you very clearly. After that there won't be any doubts in your mind. If not, I will give you my address. Why don't you show up with your best shot ? You irresponsible white coward !

Anonymous said...

"Girls just take up room and eat food, without being able to contribute to the family’s wealth or property. Because of this, families want to get rid of the girls ASAP."

Motherfucker , are you born to human mother or are you a product of your father mating with your domestic dog ? This is what you understood about a parents anxiousness to marry off their daughters who are at marraigable age ? If they don't get married off at a young age, then they can't get suitable grooms as our society is not such that the girl will go out to disco and pick up her boyfriend for one night. Asshole, this is not a cultureless society like where you came from where your dad doesn't marry off their daughters because they can't molest them anymore. disgusting white Motherfucker, why did you even go to my country so that you can partake of my simple bretheren's hospitality and come back to the safe confines of your white cowardly race and then spit venom against them and make them look bad and provide a completely twisted report on them focussing exclusively on rare cases of faults alone and nothing about the gloriousness of a bygone civilization that is the mother of language you speak now, basis of all your western education (numerology, science, trigonometry, algebra, geometry, astrology, astronomy, chess, hockey, playing cards, aesop's fables (copied from old sanskrit book), swordsman ship, archery, the list is endless I can go on and on. I am not able to put together my words coherently, because I am blazing with a tremendous impulse to pound your head with my both arms from both sides till it's flat like a slate.

Anonymous said...

I will be eagerly awaiting your response at sher420_2006@rediffmail.com. If you have any balls, that is.

Anonymous said...

By the way, any white girls wanna enjoy being the "no. 1 servant" of a Dark and Handsome Indian Man ,email me at above. I promise you will know how good it really feels.

Followers