EDIT: Scrarletta Woolf?
While scrolling through long lists of mediocre employment opportunities (did you know you could make 750-1,000 bucks a night as an escort??) on vairous job search engines, and applying to any that seemed slightly possible (anything from research reporter and receptionist to personal care assistant and kennel supervisor), for the hell of it I decide to browse through the "talent" and "creative gigs" sections of Craigslist.
I come across a listing on the Boston page titled Dancers Wanted and of course I click it. A group called Ballet Lolita is looking for dancers for their troupe. It said:
We are looking for girls with clean technique from a variety of dance backgrounds, with edgy rocker attitudes who love extreme music!! Our style is a dark/gothic contemporary...blending ballet, jazz, modern, belly dancing, and other miscellaneous dance forms. We will be performing independently, as well as collaborating with various live bands and djs. There is also great opportunity for some go-go dancing on the side. Our first gig is a performance for an indie movie premiere in September, so we need to fill our troupe a.s.a.p. so we can have our first photo shoot and start rehearsing!
Well that sounds awesome. I decide I'm going to go for it. What the hell, right? This means I need to put together a minute-long audition piece and practice it enough to look good for the director.
I spend just a couple hours stringing together my favorite dance moves to a Dresden Dolls song (I figure the music choice will be a good fit for what they're looking for). My carpeted room with only one small mirror becomes my studio. I can't do anything full out. No spins, no jumps. Not to mention it's humid like the Amazon in NH these days. Every time I try to practice it's a sloppy, sweaty mess.
In Cambridge, it takes me a while to find the audition space. But I'm greeted by Sam, the cutest little tatooed and pierced ballerina you ever saw. She's also super friendly and casual. I do the piece I've prepared and inevitalby it doesn't go how I planned. Luckily, I'm an OK improviser too. A couple days later I get an email welcoming me the troupe. Our first show is a take on Alice in Wonderland. Fun will be had.
The email also says that we're having a photo shoot on Saturday. Sam wants us all to come up with stage names and stage personas by then so we can be in character for the shoot.
I have no clue about mine. I have ideas but I have no idea if they are stupid or good. Or both.
- a gemini and I've been known to have a split personality, so I was thinking vamp up that idea? a Jekyl/Hyde type thing Gemini..something.
- Then I was thinking about how I'm a huge bookworm and I though I could play up that with the elusive librarian kinda idea.
-Thennnn there's the color red, which is a big part of my identity and personality. Firey, passionate..Lastly.
- I was thinking maybe some sort of aquatic idenity, fish or mermaid..because of my last name and that I'm drawn to the ocean.
Sam suggested I write a bio of my persona that incorporates all these things. As for the name, maybe "Gemini" with some variation of the word red. Gemini Rose? Or maybe something simpler like Rush (a French name meaning red-haired).
I'm at a loss. People who know me, I'd love suggestions for persona and/or name.
Help?!
3 comments:
How about "Fire and Ice"!
Consider yourself linked.
the photo shown below is haunting
Post a Comment