I heard my publisher (boss) talking on NPR today about small, local presses. They were doing a typical show discussing the sad state of journalism, and arguing that free local news is where it's at because it covers the news no one else does- the important pulp of the community- and gives them away, so people will still pick them up, and they'll probably survive.
If any print newspaper can survive, I think it's going to be local freebies. That is if the economy doesn't kill them off like everything else because the advertisers can't afford to advertise anymore. It's sad really. My editor and her husband both work at my paper- that's two incomes wrapped up in it. It's bad eough a kid like me could lose a job, but two incomes that sustain a family? That's rough.
I'm hoping for the best for journalism and all. but I can't help feeling like all this talk about finding solutions- the truth is newspapers are just not as practical anymore for most people. There will always be those who prefer to hold and touch the paper. But most people just don't need it. The car came along to replace the horse and carriage. They're talking about life support, not rehab.
People know it, too. In the industry and out of it. At selectmen meetings, the Veteran reporter from my rival paper tells me if these were the old days, that is the days were journalists got a decent wage, she'd work a lot harder to get the whole story. She tells me at least I'm still young. At least I can change my career. When my interviewees ask me what paper I'm from, they assume it's a stepping stone, that I'm obviously just building up the experience so I can be the next Barbara Walters- some smiling, popular TV personality who tells the news. I don't tell them the truth that I want nothing to do with the evil that is broadcast news. I just shurg and say, "Maybe."
Somehow the word got out in this small town I've been applying to grad schools. I must have told someone I guess. Well this town's so small, everybody talks and at one school board meeting the Principal of the middle school comes to me and asks about it. I tell her, a little sheepishly, what I really want to do. I don't want them to feel I want out. I like my job. And I like these people. But I really, really want the MFA expereince now. Anyways, she says she thinks my going back to school is a great idea. She supports it fully and if I need a rec she says she's my woman. Then she comments on how I don't want to be doing this forever, I have to think about the future, providing for a family.
Well, sheesh lady.
In other news, I'm stalking the MFA blogs. People have been posting their accepances, already. ALREADY. I'm biting my nails with nervousness. Crossing my fingers. Invoking whoever for luck.
Please.Please.Please.Please.Please.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment